bug in audio 'record' function?

From: Britton
Subject: bug in audio 'record' function?
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 12:21:16 -0900 (AKST)

I have noticed the following odd behavior in the record function:

1.  At recording frequencies other than 8000 (44100 in my case) the record
function doesn't seem to obey the length parameter correctly.  For 8000:

octave:7> samp1=record(10,8000)
Please hit ENTER and speak afterwards!

10+0 records in
10+0 records out

warning: connection to external pager (pid = 21260) lost --
warning: attempting to finish pending computations...
warning: broken pipe
octave:8> ls
pws_dsp              test_for_octave.raw  utility
octave:9> playaudio(samp1)

which appears to play and record perfectly over a ten second interval.
When I try 44100, it looks the same:

octave:11> samp2=record(10,44100)
Please hit ENTER and speak afterwards!

10+0 records in
10+0 records out

warning: connection to external pager (pid = 21265) lost --
warning: attempting to finish pending computations...
warning: broken pipe
octave:12> playaudio(samp2)
octave:13> playaudio(samp2)

except about 55 seconds are recorded and played back (suspiciously close
to 10*(44100/8000)=55.125).  This was only measured by the 'date' command
in a seperate xterm.  Perhaps I have misinterpreted this command?

Anyway, thanks for the excellent program octave.  I have used it with a
bunch of third party MATLAB functions that came with my DSP course text
with almost no modification (mostly stripping wierd characters at the end
of lines :).  It is a terrific piece of work.

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."