oath-toolkit-help

Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] oath.users: encrypted passwords and management t

From: Chris J
Subject: Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] oath.users: encrypted passwords and management tool
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 10:47:43 +0100

On 19/05/2015 20:26, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I'm a bit mixed whether this is the best path to pursue, or wheter it
> would be better to recommend an indirect path such as Radius or
> something else.  [...] It comes with some additional complexity cost,
> though, but maybe it is not significant.
>
> Still, as you suggest, the direct path is relatively easy to put
> together and solves the problem.  Perhaps there is room for documenting
> how to do both properly.

This last para sums it up I think.

Putting other pre-reqs in the way adds to the technical barrier needed
to make it work. For myself, I came across this project when looking for
OTP solutions for my small internet-facing project box and putting other
unfamiliar pre-reqs up may have had me looking around for other options:
not because I don't agree with the principal but more it seemed overkill
to get to grips with something unfamiliar for a server that has three or
four users at most :-)

That said, even with priviledge seperation for login, there still needs
to be a way for end-users to reset their PIN should they want to: I
don't know if moving to (say) Radius or LDAP changes that, other than
the userland tooling might need to be a little different.

Chris