oath-toolkit-help

Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] PSKC file locking

From: David Woodhouse
Subject: Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] PSKC file locking
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:58:21 +0100

On Thu, 2014-08-14 at 13:31 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> First let's take a step.  Why do you want to increment the counter and
> save it back to the same file, in a concurrent-safe way?  Are you using
> the PSKC file as the "live" database format in some application?

Yes. Sorry, I should have made it clear that this I'm looking at the
*client* side.

The OpenConnect VPN client can automatically fill in password fields
with tokencodes from RSA SecurID, TOTP and HOTP tokens:
http://www.infradead.org/openconnect/token.html

For SecurID and TOTP it's fairly simple as the token data are read-only.
But with HOTP we need to increment the counter. Hence the requirement
for writing it back to the file, with appropriate locking in case there
are multiple concurrent users of the token.

address@hidden                              Intel Corporation