oath-toolkit-help

Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] One Time Password in SLiM

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] One Time Password in SLiM
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:05:41 +0200

Christian Hesse <address@hidden> writes:

> Christian Hesse <address@hidden> on Fri, 29 Apr 2011 22:24:19 +0200:
>> xscreensaver to go...
>
> This is gonna be kind of monologue... :D
>
> Ok, here are the new facts: Authentication succeeds if I add 'alwaysok' to
> pam_oath. So the communication between xscreensaver and pam_oath is ok. Does
> the pam module have a problem accessing the usersfile? xscreensaver is run
> as user (uid 1000 or something...).
> [pam_oath.c:pam_sm_authenticate(303)] authenticate rc -11 last otp Thu Jan  1
> 01:00:00 1970

-11 means OATH_NO_SUCH_FILE, i.e., the usersfile could not be
found/opened.  The usersfile is normally owned by root and no other has
access.  It could be a configuration error, how does your xscreensaver
PAM line look like?  How does xscreensaver/pam_unix solve this for
e.g. /etc/shadow?  Doesn't xscreensaver have to be setuid-root for
things to work?

Btw, I find your "monologue" interesting, it is the kind of feedback
that is important -- we don't know where pam_oath works without someone
testing it and reporting about it.

/Simon