nuxeo-localizer

[Nuxeo-localizer] Localizer only works for western languages (iso-8859-1

From: antde
Subject: [Nuxeo-localizer] Localizer only works for western languages (iso-8859-1)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:07:55

Hi all!
I'm working with i18n and therefore I've downloaded and installed Localizer
which seems to be the best product for Zope in this area, thanks.

During my evaluation of the product I've found serious problems when handling
languages that are not ISO-8859-1 (western languages).

I made some testing with the tutorial that comes together with Localizer. I
added bulgarian as a language to a LocalContent. Then I added a title in
bulgarian for the first chapter and saved the changes, after that the form was
BROKEN ... the html-form was not correct anymore and buttons were missing, I
could not even remove the bulgarian text I added.
This depends on the charset used in the header of the form. Localizer uses
manage_page_header, which set ISO-8859-1 as charset. When using multiple
language forms we have to use UTF-8.

So what I did to get it work is putting the following two lines in the file
ui/LPM_properties.dtml

<head>
<dtml-call "RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Type','text/html; charset=UTF-8')">
<title><dtml-var title_or_id></title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/manage_page_style.css">
</head>

This header should also be added when viewing the LocalContent so I had to do
the same for standard_html_header.

Another solution is to avoid having multiple languages in the same form and
instead have a specific form for each language using the proper language
ISO-charset.

In order to get this solution works fine we have to change the UI of the Local
Property Manager. Instead of having the properties in horisontal tabs we can
have the languages added and then for each language have all properties of the
LocalContent in the same page. This gives us the possibility to mantain the
language-specific charset.

Anyway I prefer to go for a full unicode support in Localizer. That means all
forms should have UTF-8 as charset encoding. But if possible both solutions
would be better.

Maybe even the .po files should be in UTF-8 ... anyway I haven't looked further
into this yet ...

What do you think about the proposed solutions?
Any other solutions out there?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio De Marinis
IT-consultant