Re: [nmh-workers] Change {encrypted} to %(encrypted) in mh-format

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Change {encrypted} to %(encrypted) in mh-format
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 22:12:14 -0400

>Probably need to be a bit more ambitious than that, and MIME-compliant.

Well, here's my thinking.

The generic concept of encrypted email is always going to require some
special handling, since you have to unpack it to do things like search
in it or get the inner MIME structure.  And there are several MIME types
that fall under the "encrypted" banner; it seems like PGP has coalesced
around multipart/encrypted (I know there were others in the past), I
get S/MIME email that uses application/pkcs7-mime.  "Signed" email
seems to mostly use multipart/signed but it seems like that can also be
application/pkcs7-mime.  So what I am saying is, "Instead of the current
use of the Encrypted header, which does nothing, at least switch it
to an abstract function which will also do nothing but will hopefully do
something in the future".  Does that make sense?