[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [nmh-workers] nmh 1.7.1: both bcc and dcc broken for mts sendmail/pi

From: Robert Elz
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] nmh 1.7.1: both bcc and dcc broken for mts sendmail/pipe
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 19:10:58 +0700

    Date:        Thu, 14 Feb 2019 21:08:41 -0500
    From:        Ken Hornstein <address@hidden>
    Message-ID:  <address@hidden>

  | >The «"» around `Blind-Carbon-Copy'

I am leaving that there just so you can see what happens...   What I
see when composing this is (ignoring my "|" quoting marker, ">The "
(which I assume is fine for everyone), capital A with a caret (I hope
that is the right name, like the ^ char, but smaller), the opening
guillemets (never heard that name before...) a normal double quote
(ascii), another capital A-caret, and the closing guillemets (and then
a space, and the rest of the text).

  | If anyone involved with this email thread wants to pipe up with some
  | more explanation on what exactly they used to compose their email
  | replies, I would love to hear it.

I wasn't, but am now ... I am using exmh (sedit) and nmh (and then
sendmail/smtp but I doubt that is in any way related).

I don't use replyfilter, I use mhl

The exmh-defaults line for the button I pressed to reply contains...

        *Mops.irepl.command: Msg_Reply -cc to -cc cc -filt mhl_irepl

(irepl is in the *Mops.ubuttonlist list).

mhl_irepl (aside from the generation of the headers), is just

        body:component="  | ",width=1000

The original message file (the one containing your message) in my
Mail tree looks correct, and exmh displays it correctly.

What I think is happening, is that everything I do is "un-localed",
that is, I have no LC_* or LANG settings at all, which means that
everything runs in the C (aka POSIX) locale (more or less US-ASCII).

If I use nmh (ie: show) to look at your message, I see:

        >The ?"? around `Blind-Carbon-Copy'

which is correct as I understand things.

Then, what I expect happens, is that when the reply is composed, and
the 2 byte UTF-8 character is read, it is instead interpreted as 2
characters, one of which is the A-Caret, and the other is, probably
not entirely by fluke, the opening « (which I just pasted from your
message, no idea in what form it will be sent out).

It turns out that for various reasons, I deal with e-mail that is not
ASCII a lot, and it would be good if I could work out how to set things
up so that it all worked better (reading the messages works fine,
replying is a mess ... and I suspect that this message will say it
is 8859-1 and would do, even if I included some totally non European
text in it, here is some, more cut&paste, not from an MH related
message, obviously, just to illustrate...

        ????? ????????

vi displays that line (normal C locale vi, in a non-font-understanding
xterm) as ...

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed


(really all as one long line, I added the leading tabs, broke
the line at the only space in the original (first line break above)
(and deleted the space ... so if you reconstruct things, put a space
back in place of the first \n\t) and then simply at an arbitrary point
between 2 chars (second line break) (the second \n\t should simply be

If I used exmh's "cite selection" I'd get the same chars as those I
pasted above (plus the attribution, and '>').

If I use repl (on the Thai message) I get the text included, and it
all looks correct UTF-8 encoded data, but if sedit attempts to interpret
that, it looks like it has lots of a-grave, Euro symbol, superscript 1 and 2
"cents" and English-pound ... probably from interpreting the bytes as


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]