Re: [nmh-workers] post 1.71 ug: "long line"/single newline paragraphs

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] post 1.71 ug: "long line"/single newline paragraphs
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 12:11:26 +0100

Hi Jón,

> Ken writes:
> > I've seen a distressing number of times when the text/plain version
> > of a multipart/alternative message is not useful.

Yesterday's fun was working out why a `reset your password' URL didn't
work.  Fill in the web page, submit, `Please correct the highlighted
errors', but no highlights present, just the form to fill in, again.

The email had the same URL twice, once in the text/plain, again in the
text/html.  It ended in `..'.  There were no other `.' in the URL's
path.  They were part of the URL.  Terminals tend to assume they're
trailing punctuation and drop them from the opened URL.  The site didn't
care on presenting the form, only on its submission, but had a buggy
error message.  I've suggested they append `#'.
https://example.com/foo..#

> I have even seen a text/plain part of an event announcement that was
> for the previous event! The mind boggles as to what kind of software
> could cause that to happen.

I subscribe to a weekly paper magazine.  The accompanying summary email
was the same two weeks in a row.  More precisely, the text/plain was
identical, the text/html correctly differed.  They must have to prepare
and paste both separately rather than have software produce one from the
other.

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy