Re: [nmh-workers] bug report -- message does not go away

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] bug report -- message does not go away
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 12:03:09 +0100

Hi edo,

> > It looks like you need to make sure your MH installation is
> > completely consistent; it looks like stuff in your path is still
> > depending on things in /usr/bin/mh.
>
> I agree, but I'm not sure where to take this

You've upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=nmh&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
says that should be version 1.7.1~RC3-1build1.

    14.04 LTS  trusty  1.5-release-5
    16.04 LTS  xenial  1.6-8build1
    17.10      artful  1.6-16
    18.04 LTS  bionic  1.7.1~RC3-1build1
    18.10      cosmic  1.7.1-1

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/nmh/filelist shows it's
installed as /usr/bin/mh/prev, etc., and you have that but also
/usr/bin/prev.  Instead of removing the latter that didn't come from
18.04's package, you mv'd /usr/bin/mh aside as a test.

Find out if /usr/bin/prev comes from a package with `dpkg -S
/usr/bin/prev'.  It probably doesn't and you've polluted your normal
distro area of installed commands with files from a `make install' or
similar and will have to get rid of them, or move them aside, manually
if you don't have a `make uninstall' still available to undo it.  (This
is why local commands are often installed under /usr/local.  GNU stow
can also get migrate to new local versions.)

That `filelist' above will help you find what to hunt down by looking
for the same files, but in different places.  Be careful you don't
remove a file that was originally from `make install' but has since been
trampled by the Ubuntu package.  Or you may want to `purge' the nmh
package, as you did recently, clean up whatever is left over, and then
install it again.

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy