Re: [Nmh-workers] proposed patch for shell metacharacter failure in nmh-

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] proposed patch for shell metacharacter failure in nmh-1.7
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 20:57:35 -0500

Everyone,

I'm wondering if this is the correct approach.

It seems kind of fragile to me to try quoting these characters, assuming
we are passing the entire line for mhshow entries to /bin/sh -c, since
we don't have any idea what that command line looks like (although ...
I don't think I really understand why Steven is using %{name}, but, I
guess it doesn't matter).  I really think to be safe we should simply
replace any shell metacharacters for those things, because I can imagine
some nasty security holes that we might encounter.