Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 08:02:29 -0500

Ken wrote:

> >[David]
> >Different support for libexecdir and sysconfdir is confusing, I
> >think.  And I see no reason for it.
>
> Well, fair enough ... but at least one package you mentioned (sudo)
> seems to do exactly that.

sudo doesn't do that, because it doesn't use .../etc/sudo/

> They install files in $(libexecdir)/sudo and $(sysconfdir).

Right, sudo doesn't use $(sysconfdir)/sudo (I agree with them that 2
isn't a "large number").  So there is no need to override a
$(sysconfdir)/sudo at configure time.

> >I don't see why sysconfdir should be any different than libexecdir.
>
> Well, there is precedent there with at least one package;

sudo can't be used as precedent here, because it doesn't use
$sysconfdir/sudo

> But ... what about a compromise?  Like I suggested before, we could
> define a precious variable (call it "nmhsysconfdir") and by default
> make it be "${sysconfdir}/nmh".

Makefile.am currently has:

nmhetcdir  = @sysconfdir@/nmh
nmhlibexecdir = @libexecdir@/nmh

If you want to tweak things so that they can be overridden at configure
time, great.  But I think that we should retain the current default
behavior.