Re: [Nmh-workers] Question about RFC 2822: "A.1.3. Group addresses".

From: valdis . kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Question about RFC 2822: "A.1.3. Group addresses".
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 16:48:17 -0400

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 16:28:59 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:

> I have never really understood what the purpose of the group syntax is;
> I mean, yeah, I've read the RFCs about them, but they deal in kinda vague
> high-level concepts; I don't really understand how to translate those
> words into actual code.  What the original authors of MH decided was that
> if you see the group syntax in a draft file, assume the author wanted to
> obscure the recipients of the message.

Or that it was assumed that everybody who was in a specific group
already had access to the set of recipients (for instance, via /etc/aliases
or .mh_aliases or other methods.  Remember - this dates back to
a time when everybody ftp'ed HOSTS.TXT from sri-nic.arpa once a
week and ran something that converted it to /etc/hosts or whatever
multics and pdp-10s used, etc...