Re: [Nmh-workers] Request Deprecation of mts.conf's mmdelim1 and mmdelim

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Request Deprecation of mts.conf's mmdelim1 and mmdelim2.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 20:57:38 -0400

>> I realize this wouldn't happen for likely a while, but would people be
>> happy with just mboxo and mboxrd support in terms of maildrop parsing?
>
>Those two seem sufficient, but the user would have to state which their
>system used?

Well, yeah?  I mean, I don't see how you could configure it automatically.

But, I found out some stuff later on that maybe rendered this moot.

There is a bit of confusion between mailBOXES and mailDROPS.  The former is
storage of existing mail; the latter is used by a MTA to store new email
where a MUA can retrieve it.

It seems like some MUAs use mboxrd for internal email storage.  This
mostly does not concern us (except maybe we'd want to have people run
"inc" on those fils).  But AFAICT all MTAs store their maildrops in
mboxo format (at least the ones that use mbox format do).  I couldn't
find one that used mboxrd format; if people know of one, please let me
know.  That suggests to me that implementing mboxrd format mostly isn't
worth it.

>I see nmh 1.6 munges From with `>'.  It could switch to Quoted-Printable
>and `=46rom'?

I don't believe that nmh ever munges a From line in an email body; I cannot
find any code that does so, but if there is please let me know.  I believe
nmh receives an already-munged From line and we're kind of stuck there.

As for automatically switching to q-p, well ... there was what I
can only describe as a ridiculous outcry when that happened in 1.6
(primarily due to the new auto-MIMEification and lines too long), to the
point where some people put stuff in their .mh_profile that they THOUGHT
would prevent that from happening, even though they hadn't upgraded
to 1.6!  Just the thought of having their outgoing email encoded in
q-p freaked them out for reasons I cannot explain.  If we added such a
feature we'd need a way to disable it, and I expect the people who needed
it the most would make sure they never used it.