Re: [Nmh-workers] Segfault in post from mime quoted names in aliases

From: valdis . kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Segfault in post from mime quoted names in aliases
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 11:50:47 -0400

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 09:55:19 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:

> Normally I would suggest deprecating this feature and then removing it
> after the next release, but it's impacting reasonable behavior NOW, and
> fixing the core dump issue here just means trying to comprehend a pile
> of code that's just a mess and that we all agree needs to go.  So what
> do people think of just getting rid of all of it now?

The chances that somebody is *still* relying on using /etc/groups as a
mailing list database, *and* likely to upgrade to the next release of nmh,
are vanishingly slim.  I say heave it over the side and mention it in the
Changelog, and move on.  I've only been using an MH derivative since 1988,
and even back then I would have called using /etc/groups for that a totally
bonkers idea, since it's overloading group semantics with possible security
implications...