Re: [Nmh-workers] specifying SMTP server in mts.conf broken by TLS certi

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] specifying SMTP server in mts.conf broken by TLS certificate changes
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 11:22:12 -0500

>With a build from current git, post seg faults for me.
>I've bisected this down to 5cb3431b (Add support for certificate
>verification when using TLS).
>
>New code in smtp_init() is assuming that the server parameter is a string
>containing the SMTP server. It isn't unless you specify -server as a
>switch to post. If you have the server configured in mts.conf, it is
>still NULL at this point. smtp_init goes on to call rclient() which is a
>wrapper around client().

Whoops, obviously that was me.  I'll work on fixing that.

Sigh. We have tests that do set up fake POP and SMTP servers to
test that code path, but checking for things like TLS certificate
verification and some of the SASL mechanisms require a lot of
infrastructure.  I haven't wanted to go down that road (and getting
a CA certificate to where openssl knows about it is operating-system
dependent and kind of complicated), but maybe it's worth looking at.

>I think there may be other problems predating 5cb3431b too. When
>bisecting, I was getting the following error for earlier commits:
>  post: problem initializing server; [BHST] no servers available
>I've not looked further into that.

It's possible I busted something else along the way; I always forget
that people can put the server name in mts.conf, so I wasn't testing
it.  But it absolutely should work; I'll make sure that it does.