Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to flist.man

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to flist.man
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 12:33:07 +0000

Hi Larry,

> I'm afraid I don't follow you. Can you walk me through this, please?

When a program is run it is given an "argument vector", a list of
strings given when it was execve(2)'d.  The first of these is
conventionally taken as the name of the program.  It doesn't have to
match the name of the executable that was passed seperately to execve().

Seperately, it's not uncommon for the same executable to exist under
more than one name, e.g. with hard links, and alter its behaviour
depending which was used, e.g. vi(1) or view(1).

You can test this for yourself.  Copy flist to /tmp/turnip.  Hard link
it with ln to turnips.  Run each.  You should see the test for the name
ending in "s" has effect.