Re: [Nmh-workers] Help: dist is not working for me

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Help: dist is not working for me
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:47:04 -0500

>But I would like to humbly suggest a new man page, something like nmh-advice.
>It would contain a lot of advice which, right now is scattered over
>hundreds of Emails. It would, over the years, grow gradually. It
>would it be preferable to burdening already burdened existing
>man pages.

I hear you, and I understand where you're coming from ... I mean, some
of these MH configurations have been sitting around for decades, literally.
As things have changed (hopefully for the better) it's hard to sometimes
know about the new stuff; this is a problem we've been struggling with
for a while.

But your problem was a bit interesting - at first, it was mail disappearing.
Drilling down to the "real" reason was a bit of a stretch.

I have thought about writing an nmh-intro(8) man page to lay out the basic
configuration steps for a new setup.  How to configure your email address,
how to send and receive email, those kind of things.

>I want to make absolutely sure that I understand you. You are suggesting
>that, having put the line
>
>   Local-Mailbox: address@hidden
>
>into my ~/.mh_profile
>
>I change every occurrence of "address@hidden" to "%(localmbox)".
>Correct?

_In your various component files_, yes.  Before you send a draft you can
see if it worked properly.

That way if you ever change your email address, you can change it in
just one place.