Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 20:33:27 -0700

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 8:28 PM, Tom Lane <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> The current state of affairs is that nmh unconditionally assumes that
> non-ASCII input is in the character set specified by the LC_CTYPE
> environment variable (modulo the various ways that that can be specified).
> What I'm suggesting would allow the environment to be overridden by an
> mh_profile entry.  There is zero difference from an epistemologic
> standpoint: either way you're trusting the user to know what her data is.

And what I am arguing is that this override might often be on a per-message
basis, thus the $NMH_LANG escape for the programs calling the underlying nmh
commands.

NMH_LANG might be a horribly inappropriate name, and well met.  Figure out the
colour of the bikeshed, but at least build the damn thing.