[Nmh-workers] gmail oauth2 howto

From: Anders Eriksson
Subject: [Nmh-workers] gmail oauth2 howto
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 18:28:06 +0200

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the new oauth2 support working but find the documentation to be somewhat sparse and need some assistance.

The overall goal is to be able to forward a bunch of messages to a gmail account using dist (so the 822 To/From headers will be intact as well as the mime structure).

First issue,
Using normal smtp/port26 I managed to filre a nice bash loop over the meesages sending them one bu one using dist, and '-whatnowproc send'. Works fine, but how am I supposed to add the handlful of headers which seems to be required for send using oauth?

Second issue,
Trying to send a single message interactively...what's the mts.conf settings required? I tried server=smtp.gmail.com and strace suggests that it figures out to use port 587 itself (triggerd by the -sasl I guess), but smtp.gmail.com has no AUTH support.

telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
Trying 64.233.164.109...
Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP f3sm5205215lff.21 - gsmtp
EHLO work.lan
250-smtp.gmail.com at your service, [83.226.198.32]
250-SIZE 35882577
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-CHUNKING
250 SMTPUTF8
451 4.4.2 Timeout - closing connection. f3sm5205215lff.21 - gsmtp
Connection closed by foreign host.

What's the server to use? https://developers.google.com/gmail/xoauth2_protocol speaks of mx.google.com (which does not resolve in DNS from over here), and of Capabilities the google advertised server https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en don't seem to have?

Any pointer to a howto or some such?

/Anders