Re: [Nmh-workers] RFC 2047 vs RFC 2231 encoding for MIME parameters

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] RFC 2047 vs RFC 2231 encoding for MIME parameters
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 09:19:20 -0400

Lyndon wrote:

> > On Oct 6, 2016, at 8:11 PM, David Levine <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > But I wouldn't consider the likely result with filename=/foo/bar/README
> > to be safest.
>
> Why not?  If there is no "README" file, create it.  If there is, prompt for a
> replacement if stdin is a tty, else synthesize a unique replacement name and
> be done with it.

It wouldn't be safest because I would risk overwriting README in the
current directory.  That's not what I expect.

In any case, I don't think that we should change the mhstore
defaults because that might break scripts as well as user
expecations.  Those include the default of -noauto.  You can
override those defaults in your profile (I do) to get pretty close
to what you ask for.  Though there isn't a basename, it should be
possible to support that with formatting strings that pipe the content
to a script that runs basename(1) on %a.

To get back to the question about RFC 2047 encoded name parameters,
I'll just add a note to the mhstore man page for users to use mhfixmsg
to get around that.