Re: [Nmh-workers] XOAUTH2 integration, and a few questions

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] XOAUTH2 integration, and a few questions
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 22:55:05 -0400

Ken wrote:

> I'm just thinking about a hypothetical world where there would be two
> different mail servers that support XOAUTH; you don't get to make the
> choice in postproc, because send(1) is the guy who generates the bearer
> token.

Actually, you do get to make the choice, because postproc can generate
the bearer token.  (sendfrom.c does, by overwriting the -authservice switch.
See its call to mh_oauth_do_xoauth().)

Are you still sure you don't want me to move it to post? :-)

We might want to consider renaming post's (undocumented) -authservice switch.
This is a bit confusing.

> I looked at prior art; besides -credentials, which you added, there
> is also -idanno, which is the number of the file descriptor to write
> annotations to.  It seems like this is the best fit, since it my
> mind it falls under "stuff send(1) wants to communicate to post(8)".

Agreed.  Also, post currently doesn't parse the draft, and I don't think
we want it to.

> This brings up a related point; should we document all of those internal
> switches like -idanno?  I would say yes.

It'd be nice.