Re: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?

From: norm
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:33:42 -0800

David Levine <address@hidden> writes:
>Norm wrote:
>
>> David Levine <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> >Translate text/plain parts to UTF-8 To translate all text/plain parts in
>> >the current message to UTF-8, in addition to all of the default
>> >transformations:
>> >
>> >mhfixmsg -textcharset utf-8
>>
>> How do I translate, to utf-8, all parts of a message, which can be
>> reasonably translated to utf-8? The first such part?
>
>mhfixmsg doesn't currently support either of those. It's not clear to me how
>to determine "can be reasonably translated to utf-8". We've discussed this
>here recently, and Ralph raised the counterexample of an html page relying on
>a particular charset.
>
>And I'll resist making the tool even more complicated by adding interfaces to
>select which parts to touch. So it's none or all, unless there would be a
>real benefit to translate only specified parts.

Let me start this thread from scratch.

The bulk of the non-spam mail I receive still has a utf-8 or a quotedPrintable
part. I would like to apply UNIX text processing tools (grep, wc, sort, uniq,
perl, etc) to these messages. It would be nice if the next release made that
reasonably easily possible.

    Norman Shapiro