Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

From: Andy Bradford
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.
Date: 27 Jul 2015 18:09:09 -0600

Thus said Ken Hornstein on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 00:57:45 -0400:

> In theory, I'm with you on that; it would be easier. It's just that a)
> most MUAs don't even have the option  to submit to sendmail and b) the
> MTAs I'm  used to are  very complicated, so  they have lots  of knobs;
> it's hard to drill down in the documentation to find the bits you care
> about.

I'm not sure  what ``most MUAs'' represents, but perhaps  this refers to
Outlook and Thunderbird (and other ``popular'' UI oriented MUAs)? If so,
don't most  of these MUAs  have an ``outbox''  which is actually  just a
local  mail queue  built  into the  MUA which  retries  delivery to  the
configured SMTP server?

Does nmh have a queue?

I've long thought that  /usr/sbin/sendmail (or /usr/lib/sendmail on some
systems) was widely used by most CLI oriented MUAs (mutt, mailx, etc...)
precisely because  they didn't have their  own queue. I could  be wrong.
:-)

If the  goal is  to make  nmh behave  more like  popular MUAs,  and work
independently of a properly configured MTA then, shouldn't nmh also have
a queue?

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000055b6c849