Re: [Nmh-workers] show: quotes in email addresses

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] show: quotes in email addresses
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:51:49 -0400

>Hi Ken,
>
>> > I meant:  I think that not displaying quotes would be the best
>> > solution.  This would apply to scan(1) as well.
>>
>> I'm also fine with not displaying quotes by default as well.
>
>For me, "" appearing in scan output is a strong signal it's spam, but
>that could just be my ham recipient pool.  :-)

Man, Ralph, does no one you correspond with a) have a middle initial or
b) use a Microsoft-based MUA?  I find that many MUAs simply always add
the quotes even if it's unnecessary.  Also, I find that:

        \"John Smith\"

is depressingly common.

>Changing the default:
>does that mean changing the format files to add the function call, or
>changing the data arriving at the format files.  If the latter, I lose
>the option of still seeing them?

I think that David was just suggesting changing the default format (and
mhl) files.  Fossils like you and me that have customized files won't
notice.

I was thinking out loud that perhaps the quotes should really not be
sent down into the format engine at all, since technically they're not
part of the RFC-5322 phrase (well, okay, it's a quoted-string).  But
I thought that was probably too big of a change.  And if it's actually
information people care about, then that's probably a change we shouldn't
make.