Re: [Nmh-workers] Getting the location of the of the nmh executables fro

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Getting the location of the of the nmh executables from a script
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:15:09 -0500

ralph wrote:
 > Hi Norm,
 >
 > > Neither 'command -v scan' nor 'which scan' works for me. I want to
 > > name the script, from which I want to know where nmh's scan is
 > > located. "scan". I want to know its location so I can invoke it.
 >
 > OK, so you've your own `scan' script that you want to be found earlier
 > in PATH and have it call the next one that's found if PATH searching
 > continued?  The way I normally do that is to hardcode the path to the
 > next one in line, I must admit.

in bash, i do:
 mhbin=$(type -p install-mh)  # find the install-mh executable
 mhbin=${mhbin%/*}            # strip the last '/' and anything that follows

the first line could be replaced by
        mhbin=`which install-mh`

the second could be replaced by something clever in expr or sed.

later, my script says:
 $mhbin/comp   # run the real 'comp' command

paul