Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] date math
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:32:44 -0500

robert wrote:
 >     Date:        Mon, 15 Dec 2014 15:39:44 -0500
 >     From:        address@hidden
 >
 >   | Now you're comparing content to metadata.
 >
 > Not really, I was certainly not suggesting doing anything with the
 > content of the message (though I'm not sure about encapsulated messages).
 >
 >   | The fact that I need to know, or should know, or do know, that the
 >   | sender is in British Summer Time, has no relation to my computer
 >   | noting that "this email was sent to you at 13:30 local time."
 >
 > No, but if the sender says "reply today" - I need to know what "today"
 > was in his/her frame of reference when the message was sent - which is
 > what the Date header (in its original form) tells me.
 >
 > Note that for this I don't necessarily know anything about the sender at
 > all (consider messages requesting help sent to mailing lists - like this
 > one..)

a reasonable compromise might be to default scan to show local ("oh,
that's from 3 hours ago"), and default show to give something like you
described exmh doing.  it's more likely you care about what time they
sent the message while you're reading it.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 31.5 degrees)