Re: [Nmh-workers] forcing a particular character set

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] forcing a particular character set
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 23:09:39 -0500

>While you might be able to torture nmh into generating this directly,
>save your sanity and write something outside of nmh that builds the
>encrypted message for you.  I'm sure a few minutes with duckduckgo will
>turn up a boatload of scripts that solve this exact problem.

Ummm ... will it?  Seems to me like most everyone expects that the MUA
will handle the MIME goo.  We can generate the MIME goo, mostly, but we
certainly can't decrypt it easily.  A brief web search didn't find anything
remotely obvious, but I could have missed it.

It's been a while since I had to use GnuPG or the equivalent, but from
what I remember you had either the full MIME multipart/encrypted structure or
a text part that was ASCII-armoured and the MUA just magically noticed it.

I'm completely torn here; yes, we absolutely should do the "right"
thing and encourage the use of multipart/encrypted.  But I think
that it's technically a lot easier to send a text/plain that just
contains an ASCII-armoured PGP blob.  Also, we can't actually handle
multipart/encrypted ourselves.