[Nmh-workers] forcing a particular character set

From: Anthony J. Bentley
Subject: [Nmh-workers] forcing a particular character set
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 15:35:35 -0700

Hi,

Sometimes I want to force a particular character set. Specifically,
I send PGP mail by pasting ASCII armored encrypted GPG output into
the editor brought up by comp(1)/repl(1). This ASCII armored text is
entirely ASCII, even though the encrypted contents may be UTF-8.
Thus the mail automatically gets sent with 'Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"' and the message looks garbled in the recipient's
mail client (if it has integrated PGP decryption).

At first I thought I would add a 'Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="utf-8"' header in my editor window. But that gets silently
replaced with 'Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"' when I
select "mime" or "send" at the whatnow(1) prompt.

So instead I runn "mime" followed by "edit" at whatnow(1) and editing
the Content-Type header manually to utf-8.

Is there some way I can set nmh 1.6 to always send UTF-8 headers if
the message is valid UTF-8, including pure ASCII?
(I'm also open to better workflows for composing and replying to
PGP-encrypted messages. But that deserves its own thread.)

--
Anthony J. Bentley