Re: [Nmh-workers] Superfluous  's

From: Jon Fairbairn
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Superfluous  's
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:28:39 +0000

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:

> The message contains (the offending line, as part of the HTML part):
>
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Norman Shapiro<br>
>
> This part is tagged as:

[…]

> What's the solution?  Well, if you look at what we do for text web
> browsers like w3m, we change the default character set to the value
> specified by the charset parameter.  It does not seem like Chrome
> supports that.  You could prepend a default character set to the
> HTML, but that seems like it would be fraught with problems.  So I'm
> unsure of how to deal with this problem.

Chromium (and so I would guess Chrome) does have a setting for
default encoding ― the default default is Windows-1252, so a
kludge would be for Norm to set that to unicode. This would mess
up viewing some websites that use Windows-1252 (rather than
iso-8859-1) without sending a content type. I don’t know how
often that happens.

A more convoluted (but more correct) strategy would be for the
user to set up a separate config direcotory $CFG in which
unicode has been set as the default encoding and then have mh
pass --user-data-dir=$CFG when calling chrome.

--
Jón Fairbairn                                 address@hidden