Re: [Nmh-workers] Items for nmh 1.7

From: Jerrad Pierce
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Items for nmh 1.7
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:00:44 -0400

>mhl has baggage that I don't believe that -- nor do I believe that you believe
>I think you should be able to design and write the new program unencumbered by
>the encrustations of the past. Of course, if in in writing the new code, you
>want to copy some of the mhl code, the ghost of Dijkstra will forgive you.
>
>The same goes for, show, mhshow, next and prev. They should go into nmh-1.7
>pretty much as is, but deprecated, and be absent from nmh-1.8.

It seems to me it would make the most sense to reuse what code you can from
the existing tools to create "mhmime" as a library. Then convert show, mhl*
mhmime etc. to be shims that call it, thusly preserving all of the existing
user interface of these applications.

* This would probably not expose all of he library's functionality,
  and that's okay.