Re: [Nmh-workers] Trying, and failing, to install the optional replyfilt

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Trying, and failing, to install the optional replyfilter
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:36:47 -0400

Norm wrote:

> I put a copy of /usr/local/nmh-1.6/share/doc/nmh/contrib/replyfilter,
> into  /home/norm/lib
>
> with the following two lines inserted just after "use Encode;"
>
> open CHECK, ">/t/replfilterLog";
> print CHECK "hello norman\n";
>
> I inserted the line:
>
> formatproc: /home/norm/lib/replyfilter
>
> into .mh_profile
>
> But  /home/norm/lib/replyfilter is not run when do 'repl'

OK, you've motivated me to set up replyfilter :-)

I couldn't get it to work, either, unless I did this:

    repl -format

or

    repl -filter mhl.reply

That follows from the repl(1) man page, but it would be better
for the comments in replyfilter to make that clear.  And those
assume that mhl.reply is installed in either the nmh etc
directory or in the user's nmh directory.

The contents of mhl.reply are shown in the replyfilter script.

One more thing, if you don't have par (rpm -q par) already,
you'll need to install it (sudo yum install par).

Ken, is there a way to simplify this?  Maybe provide a
mhl.replyfilterc in etc and move replyfilter to lib?  Then the
script could suggest just this one step:

    -filter mhl.replyfilter -fmtproc replyfilter

Also, replyfilter gets installed without execute permission,
because INSTALL_DATA has -m 644.  Installing it in lib would
preserve its execute permission.

For users who already use a -filter, it'll take effort to figure
out how to merge them.  And I use different filters for
different purposes, so multiple times.