Re: [Nmh-workers] A non-complaint

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] A non-complaint
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 16:15:09 +0100

Hi David,

> Something else added it along the way.  As Ken noted later,
> it's not in the message in the raw mailing list archive.

Yes, I think that's what I said.  :-)  I was wondering if that something
was Chrome.

> > Ken said the HTML default was Windows-1252; it seems surprising
> > Windows was ever a default.  I thought it was ISO-8859-1
>
> Right, per RFC 2616 §3.4.1.

I think it's §3.7.1, but yes.

    When no explicit charset parameter is provided by the sender, media
    subtypes of the "text" type are defined to have a default charset
    value of "ISO-8859-1" when received via HTTP.  Data in character
    sets other than "ISO-8859-1" or its subsets MUST be labeled with an
    appropriate charset value.

> >     exec 42<%F && google-chrome /dev/fd/42
>
> Oddly, that doesn't work (consistently):  the chrome window
> remains blank.

Oh no, it won't.  If there's no Chrome already running then it works OK
because the child inherits the open file descriptor.  But if this Chrome
just communicates with another Chrome and passes the string "/dev/fd/42"
over, that existing Chrome doesn't share the file descriptor.  :-(

How about something along the lines of

    t=`mktemp` && cp %F $t && google-chrome $t; (sleep 42; rm $t) &

And/or raise a bug on Chrome saying it should only exit once it has
shaken hands with the Chrome that's displaying the page and knows it has
been fully read.  :-)

> Wouldn't it stay until the forked mhshow process exits?  In any case,
> I don't see that as a problem.

mhshow would remove the directory entry that it created, but the inode
would remain because its "how many open file descriptors refer to me"
count is non-zero.  And with the inode remaining, so does the disk space
holding the file's data.

In a way though, if I close Chrome and open it tomorrow with it
restoring the tabs, I want it to still display the email?  So perhaps
the temporary file should just remain by name until some external
clean-up happens?