Re: [Nmh-workers] modernizing smtp message submission

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] modernizing smtp message submission
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 22:54:49 -0400

Ralph wrote:

> Is it definitely the only thing AT&T support?

No, as I noted earlier:

    I just tried port 587 and it worked.  I'll try living with
    it for a while.  But AT&T still hasn't documented it.

It could be argued that if it's not documented, it's not
supported, but I'm not going to pursue that.  And my last
statement wasn't accurate:  I couldn't find documentation
from AT&T.  Maybe they have documented it (and hidden it:
their recommendation to use port 465 is easy to find).

To summarize the current status:  With Lyndon's change to
default to the submission port, this is all that I had to
configure (in my .mh_profile) to send via AT&T:

  credentials: file:.nmhcreds
  send: -sasl -tls -server outbound.att.net

And of course set up that credentials file.

With the rest of Lyndon's proposal in place, we wouldn't need
the explicit -sasl -tls.  Very nice.