Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: unable to convert character set to utf-8, cont

From: norm
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: unable to convert character set to utf-8, continuing...
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 07:18:30 -0700

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
>>I'm wondering if that message could give more detail. Perhaps, the number of
>>characters that can't be converted and, if there aren't too many, their
>>location and description?
>
>It's not one particular character that failed; the whole conversion
>failed.  It really means, "I passed the input character set to iconv and
>iconv didn't know about it".  If one character had failed, you'd get a
>substitution character and no warning.  I was also going to say that
>you'd get that message if you didn't compile with iconv support, but it
>seems that isn't the case; if you didn't compile with iconv, you'd never
>get that message.

>What's the charset of the message in question?

This happens for many messages -- several every day. An example, from today,
is your "mhstore RFE: add facility to manipulate the original filename" of
Tue, 03 Jun 2014 09:00:32 -0400.

For almost all of those messages, including the example, mhstore produces a
file which is almost all ASCII; less, or even cat, does a quite credible job
of rendering it. I would ask why mhshow can't do that. Except then, you might
spend two hours telling me.

mhstore certainly does non-trivial things to a part's content.

    Norman Shapiro