Re: [Nmh-workers] More fun with charset functions

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] More fun with charset functions
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 00:54:47 +0100

Hi Ken,

> > > The question I put to all of you: who gets to decide what is
> > > "right"?
> >
> > The RFCs.  They define interoperability.  :-)
>
> Sure, but that's not really the problem we're talking about here.
> Eric Gillespie said last month:
> > Is nmh primarily trying to help users file bugs in other mail
> > programs, or trying to help users deal with their email?  I say it's
> > primarily the latter.
>
> Which in my mind is hard to argue with.  In the same email Eric
> pointed out that if it was completely hopeless, yes, nmh should give
> up ... he was just arguing that we shouldn't be so picky.

I think there's a difference between nmh coping with incoming emails
thrown at it, which IIRC was the discussion when Eric said that, and nmh
spewing "broken" emails because the user has a broken configuration.
The user probably wants to be told so he fixes it.  If it's his real
intention then mhbuild can probably do his warped bidding.

I realise this is all old hat now, but as a general principle I think
there are two distinct cases;  input and output.