Re: [Nmh-workers] Quoted printable problem

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Quoted printable problem
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 13:19:40 -0400

david wrote:
 > Ralph wrote:
 >
 > > Hi Ken,
 > >
 > > > Maybe changing the error message a bit would be useful?
 > >
 > > Yes, I agree with David's suggestion.  Options include:  state the RFC
 > > bit being violated so the user can cite it at the miscreant;  suggest
 > > how the user edit the email to workaround;  refer the user to a bit of
 > > the documentation that explains the issue in more detail, including the
 > > previous two.
 >
 > I committed an expanded message with those first two options.
 > For the original message that started this thread:
 >
 >   mhshow: "multipart/mixed" type in message 1497 must be encoded in
 >   7bit, 8bit, or binary, per RFC 2045 (6.4).  One workaround is to
 >   manually edit the file and change the "QUOTED-PRINTABLE"
 >   Content-Transfer-Encoding to one of those.  For now, continuing...
 >
 > where the quoted strings and message number/filename are variable.

the trouble with the message is that, at least in the cases of
mhshow and mhlist, the program doesn't continue.  it quits.  i guess
that's the goal, but seems like using advise() or even adios() would
be better, to avoid the false hope given by "continuing..."

i just hit one of these, where the multipart/alternative header had
a c-t-e of quoted-printable.  it was from wordpress.com.  is that where
the other recent instance was from?

i confess i'm more on the side of "chastise and continue" for things
like this, rather than "scold and quit".  are there other strict
checks in the codebase?  could we add a profile setting that could
be used to change the behavior to "continue"?

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 72.9 degrees)