Re: [Nmh-workers] corruption when attaching all-null files

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] corruption when attaching all-null files
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 10:54:52 -0700

On May 7, 2014, at 9:51 AM, Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:

> A file of all \0 wouldn't match any of these cases (contains8bit only
> gets set if the function fails isascii(), which is between 0 and 127.).
> I think we need a new test (isvalid7bit?  Have to think about it).

Better to add a bit that says 'containsnulls'.  MIME requires specific
behaviour in the face of NULs, as does SMTP.

I don't like this 'isvalid7bit' idea.  The suitability of a body part for 7 bit
transport can – and should – be inferred from contains8bit and containsnulls.
Adding 'isvalid7bit' makes way for conflicting assertions as to whether the
code is 7 bit or not.  You could always '#define ISVALID7BIT(foo)
(!(foo->contains8bit || foo->containsnulls))'.  And similarly for ISVALID8BIT.

--lyndon