Re: [Nmh-workers] corruption when attaching all-null files

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] corruption when attaching all-null files
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 12:19:21 -0400

>in testing the marker line format, i created a bunch of files of
>varying sizes in order to attach them.  by chance, i used dd from
>/dev/zero to create the files, so they all consist of null characters.
>
>it turns out that when i attach such a file, something goes wrong, and
>i end up with the mime header for the attachment, but an empty part, and
>mhlist complains about "bogus multipart content"

So, we handle text that contain NULs generally pretty lousy ... but
AFAICT, a NUL is not valid in a RFC 5322 (or MIME) text part.  The
specifics of that are something I'm not sure about, through; it might be
valid in some circumstances.  AFAIK, if a NUL is in a non-text part, we
should (and as far as I know, we do) handle that properly, becuase that
gets encoded with base64.

If you could give specifics on what went wrong that would be useful.