[Nmh-workers] 1.6 Release Engineering

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: [Nmh-workers] 1.6 Release Engineering
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 14:49:12 -0800

With 1.6 approaching, now is a good time to rationalize our repo tagging a bit.

What I'm thinking is we get everything for 1.6 onto the head, then cut a
RELENG_1_6 branch.  That will become the basis for the 1.6 release.  In the
branch we only do what is necessary to get 1.6 out the door.  I.e. critical bug
fixes, release notes, etc.

Inside the branch we can tag 1.6-alpha-1, 1.6-beta-2, 1.6-rc1, 1.6-release,
etc.  (Note the UPPER CASE branch names vs. lower case tag names.)

Once the branch is cut, work can carry on on the head for what will be 1.7, and
we will repeat as necessary for future releases.

If that's agreeable, would everyone with outstanding code for 1.6 step up with
a brief description of what they need to commit, and an ETA?  Once everything
is in I will take care of creating the branch.

Note that any general documentation updates (i.e. other than the 1.6 release
notes) should go in before the branch gets created.

Once we branch I will switch the buildbots to build from RELENG_1_6 instead of
the head until we have the release out the door.

So in preparation for all this, if there are no objections, I would like to
declare a feature freeze on commits to the head, other than any outstanding
work that was already planned for 1.6 and is near completion.  After we cut the
1.6 branch we can open up the head again.

--lyndon