Re: [Nmh-workers] Pager output on mhshow

From: Oliver Kiddle
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Pager output on mhshow
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:39:12 +0100

Ken Hornstein wrote:
> In MH/nmh, each part was processed individually.  Combining them all under
> one pager works great for text parts, but if you have graphical content
> then it sort of falls down, because you might want confirmation of that.
> But in my experience, usually you can divide your content into two types:
> text, and "everything else".  That suggests to me that a middle road might
> be as follows:

It'd be useful to make it easier to have two mechanisms. HTML, I
normally view through w3m. I even have pdftotext as the default for PDF
but normally I view e-mail over remote ssh. So at home, I often do
mhstore followed by firefox/zathura/evince/soffice/whatever instead of
using mhshow.

> - By default only display text, inline content (basically, default to
>   -type text).  This means that configured display programs in the profile
>   or mhn.default be designed to simply dump their stuff to stdout (I think
>   current entries that output to a pager will work fine).

A way to show only the first text part would be nice. I currently use
-part 1 which sometimes goes wrong.

> - Non-text entries will get a marker like:
>   [part 2.2 image/jpeg A cool new picture!]
>
>   in the output.

In my current scripted solution, I simply run mhlist at the end (fed
into the same pager). I think a final summary of parts at the end is
more useful than having the markers interspersed with text sections in
the order they appeared. It is also more useful on multipart/alternative
if I decide to view the non-default part.

It'd be nice to have any markers configurable at least to the extent
that I can add escape sequences for colours.

Another thing that comes to mind is that I've virtually never seen an
attachment with a description (as output by mhlist and in your example
marker) but filenames are very common.

Oliver