Re: [Nmh-workers] General question - unsupported charset conversion

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] General question - unsupported charset conversion
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:01:06 -0500

>> Sigh, IT'S THE SAME THING.  iconv() returns EILSEQ at a particular point
>> in your conversion buffer.  What do you do next?
>
>In your example, emit a Pile Of Poo.

I know you're being flippant ... but it's a serious question.  Right now,
iconv() returns EILSEQ if you cannot convert an input character to the
target character.  It also does that if you have an invalid multibyte
sequence.  Based on _what you want to happen_, what, exactly, should be
done from a programming perspective?  Bail?  Substitute something?  Do
something else?