Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scr

From: Jerrad Pierce
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scratch in the 2014 context
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 09:35:10 -0500

>I'm not sure I follow.  From where I'm sitting MH mailboxes are only
>useful with traditional Unix tools true if the vast majority of email
>you have in your mailbox is US-ASCII text/plain only.  Can't speak for
>anyone else, but that's slowly becoming less and less true for me.

Since MH tools only pay attention to files matching /^\d+/,
it seems like breaking messages out into \d+.attachments would
make things easier to grep, etc. I suggested this before, but
having recently learned about hooks, this should be easy for
me to mock-up sometime this week
https://github.com/mcr/nmh/blob/master/docs/README-HOOKS

inc (add hook) will mhstore to \d.attachment
refile will rename and move as necessary
rmm will remove

everything else is transparent, although aliases could be made
for mhlist/mhshow, which use the pre-dumled attachments.