Re: [Nmh-workers] Default and selectable Content-Transfer-Encoding issue

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Default and selectable Content-Transfer-Encoding issues
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 13:07:51 -0600

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> Right now if the text parts contain any 8bit or long lines (> 76
> characters) the content is forced as quoted-printable.  Obviously with
> a default of 8bit, 8bit characters are fine.  But should lines > 76 be
> 8bit, or q-p?  I'm unsure which one is right.  Thoughts?

IMO, it should be a configuration setting.  Today, q-p is rarely needed
and is kind of annoying (especially in older releases of nmh, or MH,
where q-p was not handled at all in reply composition).  It would be
nice to specify 8bit as the default, even if long lines are present,
and/or an option to specify at what line length q-p is triggered.

--ewh