Re: [Nmh-workers] Thank you

From: Mike O'Dell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Thank you
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:36:24 -0500

Indeed I am paying attention.

I second Robert's comments.

MH has served me faithfully (if somewhat begrudgingly
now and again - grin) on a production basis since
1980. I played with it before that but after I landed
at LBL and came face to face with the Unix version of MSG,
"Something had to be done!" I rediscovered MH and never
looked back. (I believe Mike Wahrman reconnected me
with MH, bless him.)

I suspect MH is some of the longest-lived production code
ever to come out of Unix that managed to survive relatively
unimproved by feeping creaturism in and of itself. The same
cannot be said for the email protocols and MH has suffered
from having to accomodate the untempered zeal of people
too busy trying to improve the world that they failed to
take note of whether they were moving toward their alleged goal.

So Norm, I personally thank you for all your trips around
the sun that have left us with a great gift - one of the last
shining examples of the Unix software ethic: "Things should
be as simple as possible, but no simpler." -- A. Einstein
Although I feel compelled to add: and it should do those
simple things really really well.

And as kre said, you have every right to be immensely proud
of MH and its progeny.

   -mo