Re: [Nmh-workers] OpenBSD added to the buildbot cluster

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] OpenBSD added to the buildbot cluster
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 00:36:06 -0500

I don't want to get into a huge discussion about this.  But, to address
your issue:

>Take, for example, the file nmh-1.5/sbr/mts.c, function LocalName().

Yes, this is one of unfortunately a bazillion examples where nmh gets
it wrong, a product of 1970's-era C coding.  But my objection to the
use of the strl* functions is that they are not part of POSIX, and we
can't guarantee that they're available on all platforms.  That means an
autoconf test and/or substitution functions have to be written, and in
my mind that shouldn't be done unless there is a very good reason and no
other option.  The strn* functions are part of POSIX, so I'd rather use
them; they are the most portable.