Re: [Nmh-workers] message/rfc822 C-T and whatnow's attach?

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] message/rfc822 C-T and whatnow's attach?
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:12:08 -0800

David Levine writes:
> Paul F. wrote:
>
> > how do i use whatnow's attach to attach a file, like a mail
> > message, with a specific Content-Type?  i.e., if i use this:
> >     Nmh-Attachment: /home/pgf/Mail/inbox/2902
> > i get a Content-Type of text/plain rather than message/rfc822
>
> I've been thinking about this.  It's possible, though maybe
> a bit tricky, to determine if the file is a message in the
> user's MH folders.  If it is, should attach set the
> Content-Type for the part to message/rfc822?
>
> For that determination, one way might be based on the full
> path to the file, which attach already finds.  We could
> iterate over the directory portion of that path, starting
> from the bottom and adding one level each time.  If
>  "mhpath +dir filename" succeeds and if the inodes of the
> files match, then that file is an MH message.
>
> David

Going from memory here (instead of the source code).  The attach code
uses the "file" command to determine the content type.  And, of course,
one of the reasons that I use nmh is that the messages are plain text
files.

Oh!  Just looked at the file man page, and someone has added a --mime
option that does the right thing and recognizes messages in ascii text.

So I'd simply change the attach code to use file --mime and maybe get
rid of some of the stuff that I originally put in there to create mime
types from collected information.

Note that it even plugs in the charset.  So maybe this is a simple
short-term solution to the whole discussion.  Even though I'm swamped
at the moment I can probably find time to make this change if it's
agreeable.

Jon