Re: [Nmh-workers] Conflict between "mime" command and attach

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Conflict between "mime" command and attach
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 15:46:04 -0500

Jon wrote:

> Gave this a bit more thought.  What *exactly* is the issue?

I'll take a shot, but Ken can probably do better:  we want
nmh to always produce mime messages without getting confused
by text that isn't a mhbuild directive but looks like it,
while still supporting attach.

> Is it a lack of confidence that attach will do the *right thing*

Not for me.

> and the desire to check and change it if desired?

If we can get that easily, but I don't think it's a priority.

> If so, I have two fairly simple suggestions:
>
>  1.  Add a -check option to the whatnow attach command that
>      generates a list of attachments whatever you want like
>      content-type, encoding, etc.

That would be neat, and easy if whatnow inserted build
directives.  Or, we could move the guts of attach out of send so
that whatnow could get to them for this purpose.  But again, I
don't think it's a high priority.

>  2.  Allow options on the attachment header so that the
>      content-type, encoding, etc. can be overridden.

No! :-)  mhbuild directives aren't going away and should be used
if overrides are needed.