Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 14:56:36 +0100

Hi Joel,

> I think I found something related to the cause: I have this line in my
> mhn.defaults:
>
>   mhshow-show-text/html: %p/usr/bin/lynx -force_html -dump '%f' | less

I have a similar single line.

    mhshow-show-text/html: lynx -dump -width `tput cols` '%F' |
        expand | sed 's/  *$//' | cat -s | less

I find it gives the behaviour you describe if the HTML file contains a
charset declaration that's incorrect for the content of the HTML, e.g.
ISO-8859-1 when mhstore shows the glyph is UTF-8 encoded.  Lynx obeys
the charset in the file.  Might be worth searching for `charset' in the
HTML you've got.  I receive many such broken HTML emails.