[Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages

From: Joel Uckelman
Subject: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 03:28:50 -0700

I've noticed recently that I'm getting some mojibake in messages from
a few sources. Both examples I have handy have a quoted-printable UTF-8
encoded text/html part, and one also has a quoted-printable UTF-8
encoded text/plain part.

The one which is HTML only happens also to be in German, and what's
getting munged are the umlauted vowels: e.g., I'm seeing "für" as
"für" when I run show on the message. The other message has some curly
apostrophes in it, so I see "I’m" instead of "I'm".

I manually decoded the quoted-printable HTML for the message in German
and the quoted-printable text in the other message, and both appear to
be correct UTF-8. The locale for my terminal is a UTF-8 locale, and it
typically displays Unicode code points correctly. This makes it appear
that the problem is with nmh. (This is with nmh-1.5-3 on Fedora 18.)

Does anyone have an idea where the cause lies? I'd be happy to provide
the problematic messages, if that would help.

--
J.