Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking. Horrible, horrible, locking ...

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking. Horrible, horrible, locking ...
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:50:49 -0400

>> But I'll give you a concrete example: the filesystem that I use for
>> $HOME only works right if you use lockf(), but that's a lousy choice
>> in general.
>
>Yes! That's exactly what I was asking for.  What is the filesystem?
>What is the OS?  What is the broken behaviour of fcntl/flock/whatever
>that required you to use lockf()?  Details!!!  (Please?)

The filesystem in question is AFS (the behavior is uniform across all
platforms).  Short answer is that AFS doesn't support byte-range locking,
so lock calls that aren't lockf() are ignored.

Although ... it looks like a newer version of AFS might support that;
I'm not sure we've upgraded everything here to take advantage of it yet.